Anton Brod was called “Anthony” and “Anton.” “Anthony” was presumably an Americanized version of “Anton.” His last name has been listed as “Brood.” He was born in 1817 or 1818 in Germany. He and both his parents were born in Bavaria, according to U.S. census records. His church marriage record, however, refers to his birthplace as “Rheinb.” A city named Rheinberg is in North Rhine-Westphalia, not Bavaria.
Anton Brod married Margareth Bartling 15 Feb 1851 in St. Louis, MO at Holy Ghost Evangelical/UCC Church, where Fr. (Friedrich?) Picker was the pastor. The church’s marriage record refers to the couple as Anton Brod and Marg. Bartling. Margareth’s birthplace is given as “Oldenb.” (Oldenburgh in Prussia). The marriage was witnessed by Michael Brod and Christian Hoffman.
The marriage also appears in St. Louis Marriage Records in Vol. 5, p. 220. The couple were married 15 Feb 1851 in what the record calls the “Evangelic Protestant Church of St. Louis.” The bride’s name appears as what looks like “Margaretha Bartling.”
The following are references to residences of Anton Brod:
- 1876, St. Louis, MO, rear of 1115 N. 13th St., listed as “Anthony Brod,” carpenter (city directory).
- 1877, St. Louis, MO, rear of 1115 N. 13th St., listed as “Anton Brod,” carpenter (city directory).
- 1877, St. Louis, MO, an obituary appears in the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, 7 Nov 1877, p. 5, for Nicholas Bartling, with the funeral being held at the home of “his brother-in-law, Anthony Brod,” at 1115 N. 13th St.
- 1880 census, St. Louis, MO, 1103 N. 13th St., counted twice, once as “Brod” and again as “Brode,” cabinet maker.
- 1889-1890, St. Louis, MO, 1103 High Street (High Street was known at other times as 13th St.), carpenter (city directory).
Anton Brod died 29 Jun 1890 at his residence, 1103 High Street, St. Louis, MO. He was buried in New Picker’s Cemetery (named for Pastor Picker).
Anton Brod’s wife Margareth Bartling was born in 1830 in Oldenburg, Prussia, Germany, which is where both her parents were also born. She was also known as Margrete and as Margaret. An obituary appears in the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, 7 Nov 1877, p. 5, for her brother Nicholas Bartling, with the funeral being held at the home of his brother-in-law Anthony Brod.
She is presumably the Margaretha Brod mentioned in “Real Estate Transfers,” St. Louis Globe-Democrat, 1 Oct 1885, p. 9: “Henry Brod to Margaretha Brod – Lots 23 and 24, city block 269, 55 [or 56?] feet, 10 inches on Thirteenth street – warranty deed….[$]5,000.00.”
Margareth died 6 Nov 1885 at her home at 1103 N. High Street in St. Louis. An obituary appeared in the St. Louis Globe-Democrat: “BROD – November 6, at 11:50 p. m., after a severe struggle, caused by fall, Mrs. Margrete Brod, nee Bartling, beloved wife of Anthony Brod, aged 55 years, 3 months. Funeral from residence 1103 High street, Sunday, November 8, at 1:50 p. m. Friends are invited.”
Her death was also mentioned under “Yesterday’s Death Certificates” in the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, Nov. 10, 1885, p. 9: “Margaret Brod, 55 years, 1103 North High street – accidental fall.”
A coroner’s inquest was held to determine the cause of death of Margareth Brod: “Inquest held at No. 1103 N. High st. City of St. Louis at 4 O.C. [o’clock] P.M. November 7th 1885 on The Body of Margaret Brod” – “Henry Brod being duly sworn [unreadable] The deceased is my Mother. She is 55 y & P not Married, born in Germany occupation House wife[.] About 6.30 P.M. Oct. 7th 1885 whilst the deceased was going down stairs into the basement she made a misstep and fell to the bottom of the stairs, severely injuring her spine, the entire lower portion of her body became paralysed, she had medical attendance untill she died at about 11.40 O.C. P.M. November 6th 1885[.] I will bury her remains. [signed] Henry Brod”
Anton and Margareth Brod had the following children:
- John Brod, born 8 Nov 1851 St. Louis, MO, married Elizabeth
- Albert Brod, born about 1856 St. Louis, MO, married Mary
- Henry Brod, born 1858 or 1859 St. Louis, MO
- Carrie Brod, born 1865 or 1866 St. Louis, MO
- William Brod, born 18 Mar 1868 St. Louis, MO, married Mary A. Coughlin
- Alexander Brod, born 26 Jul 1870 St. Louis, MO, married Katherine Marie (“Katie” or “Kate”) Brod